Friday, June 27, 2003

Down among the washed


Once again, was riding the train of the well-scrubbed today and I noticed something. Nobody pays to ride the N. I mean nobody. (Except me but I'm not well-scrubbed.) It was weird. People were getting on multiple entrances, there was an occassional mad dash followed by a triumphant swoop aboard; backpacks were adjusted, people amiably shifted around to make room but nobody put any money into the coinbox. And nobody showed a fastpass. At first i didn't really think to much about it until I saw a girl get on, pause by the fare box, pull out her wallet, discover she had no singles then, with complete unconcern, she replaced her wallet, pulled out her phone and began to make a call. I'm not kidding. People were treating the farebox like a cup being passed after the silver guy stops moving. One lady got on with her kid and made a HUGE deal about her child putting 35 cents into the box and getting a transfer. Everyone smiled. "How cute! She's paying." It was decidedly weird. It was weirder when I realized that it's possible these people don't pay because they know the odds of them getting harrassed in a "transfer, please" kind of way by the MUNI police are pretty slim. It's just not that kind of line. I think there may be some sort of rule that the very clean don't need any other "proof-of-purchase." I could easily imagine every single person on that train (except me) striding into some shop on Irving street with a blouse -- no bag, no reciept, just the blouse -- crumpled in their hand, hoping to return it because it just didn't fit right. And I bet it would work. I bet the serious but concerned salesperson would take back that blouse and not even check it for stains. I bet they'd take whatever card was handed to them and ring up the refund including the sales tax, smile at that customer and sincerely inquire whether or not "there would be anything else?". Weird.



There was a lady on the train today who was not so much a lady as she was a watercolor sketch of a lady. I don't think I've every seen someone so completely drawn, if you know what I mean. Her lines were f***ing amazing! Anyway. I couldn't stop staring at her. Another lady noticed me being fixated, glanced at the object of my attention then back at me. Then she shrugged and continued reading her million and six page Harry Potter book. "Not very well-scrubbed." She probably thought. "I'll bet she paid full fare." I don't care. I want to take that watercolor lady and hang her in my livingroom. I think she'd go great with my couch.



Quick good-bye to some co-worker friends



Good-bye, Andrew. Michelle and Jim. I really enjoyed working/hanging out with you guys. It's people like you that make coming to work fun and I hope your next gigs are fulfilling and lucrative. Best of luck in the real world. Don't let the bastards get you down!!

I think I need coffee now. And another shower; only this time with sweet-smelling soap.

No comments: