Thursday, July 24, 2003

Nice!


Less than 5% of the Californian voting population may get to choose the next governor! Sweet! K. folks, let's do this...! All I need is 3,500 bucks and a few thousand siggies, whaddaya say? "Chick in 2003"??



You know what's nice? An impromptu evening visit from the ever-fascinating Miss Tail, that's what! What's nicer? Her bringing ice cream and wearing an awfully cool pink, stretchy top thing! We wuv!!Gonna miss that girl when she's gone {sniff} but at least she sounds like she's moving in a fairly happy direction and what the heck, I may find a way to make it all the way into the City now and again for a visit to her new pad. {smiling bravely. moving on...}



So, my back/butt still hurts. If anyone knows anyone who gives a decent massage send em my way will ya. (Actually, if anyone knows anyone who gives an indecent massage...! heh heh heh -- Ouch!)



I am curently reading "Eyes on the Prize" the "companion book to the award winning documentary showcasing the civil rights movement from 1954-1965" and getting all outraged 'n sheet. Thing is, I am a product of this whole move to integrate thing. Moms and Pops were there, on the buses, in the marches. Big brother was featured in one of those "babies in jail while their parents await sentencing" photos, I've heard the stories but, thing is, i don't think I ever really understood them until I started doing some re-reading (or in this case, first time reading) of some of the seminal texts that came out during and about that period of time in our fabulous nation's history. I mean, sure, I colored the cut-out of MLK Jr. in kindergarten. I sat through the requisite snippets from the civil rights movies in Civics class. I read "Soul on Ice", I was president of the Black Student Union fer chrissakes -- why then am I surprised and outraged at by the murder and subsequent double "hung juries" of Medgar Evers? Why do I know more about Fannie Mae (the folks who service my loan) than I do about Fannie Lou Hamer and the drive for voter registration in Mississippi? What about Joseph Rauh, fer chrissakes, and the truckload of chutzpah it took for him to champion the MFDP cause as well as to spend the rest of his 81 years fighting discrimination and attempting to ensure that the law be used as "a vehicle for righting social wrongs and not perpetuating them."??

I am amazed that I, a fairly progressive, mixed-race, soon to hold a doctorate in Educational Policy, flaming liberal know next-to-nothing about these people and the events they helped create and support. I suck. I'd love to blame the system though, so if anyone else feels woefully inadequate re: the discussion of these and other pertinent historical movements let me know. If there are enough of us dumb-asses out there I think we've got a really good case for shifting the blame onto the schools!

No comments: