Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Oh my gawd!


I met Lyle Lovett.

I. met. LYLE LOVETT!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

K. So, I went to Santa Rosa to go see Mr. Lovett in concert right? So, I get there about an hour early onna counta I have no idea how long it takes to get to the Luther Burbank Art Center from San Fran and there’s no way in hell I’m going to be late. So, I’m early. I’m waiting calmly with the rest of the shmoes (for those of you unfamiliar with the Santa Rosa demographic, let’s just say there were six "alternatively colored" people there last night. Four were singing with the band and one was playing Saxophone. Needless to say, I’m somewhat conspicuous.

Cue Nancy: (Sixty-ish security guard, white hair, sparkley blue eyes, guarding the door to the backstage area) “You waiting for someone, hon’?” Me: “nah, I just don’t want to sit with those people yet.” I gesture toward the group I am sandwiched between – lots of “fun” jewelry and authentic Hawaiian shirts. She grins. I grin. We bond. (What up, Nancy! Way to support a sistah, holla back!)

Thus begins a rambling 30 minute conversation about theatre, security guarding, living in Santa Rosa for 60 years (Christ!), inter-ethnic romance, teaching, adoption, stage fright, you name it, we discussed it. Good gal that Nancy. So anyway, show starts, I go sit. Show rocks! Lyle is cute. For some reason I got this great ticket where I’m in the fourth row, practically on top of the guy…. Since I know everyone cares, Mr. Lovett has a GREAT ass! Anyway, show ends, multiple encores. People file out. Nancy (remember Nancy?) waves me over. Do I want to meet the band? She inquires… I stare. She waits. I nod. She smiles and leads me backstage to a kind of outdoor area where THE BAND is milling around. We walk over to where a small group of people including LYLE LOVETT are sitting.

The following conversation ensues:

Mitch: (guitar player in the band – to Lyle) Lyle?
{Lyle Lovett looks up. Lyle Lovett smiles. (!!)}
Nancy: This is Chick
Lyle Lovett: Hello. {extends hand}
Chick: Hi. {Shakes hand. I shook Lyle Lovett’s hand!!} Great show.
Lyle Lovett: Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. (Lyle Lovett is glad I enjoyed his show!!) {nods, smiles} Excuse me… {turns attention to someone else}

Wow. All I can say is wow. Such soft hands. You wouldn’t expect a guitar player to have such soft hands. {sigh} I love Lyle Lovett. Thank you, god. Thank you, Nancy. For those of you that care, I then turned to Mr. Mitch the guitar player and seeing that he was messing around with some bizarre guitar-ey thing and asked how many instruments he played. Hour long conversation ensued of which I remember NOTHING. To make a long story short, Band was getting tired. Nancy needed to lock up and I was sent on my merry way. Got home around 2am. I am so exhausted right now I may just pass out. Yay! Did I mention that I love Lyle Lovett?

No comments: