Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Who writes these things...?


Aquarius - Horoscope (by Astrocenter.com) 8/26/2003
A friend from a distant state or foreign country whom you may not have seen for a while could awaken strange new feelings in you for which you're totally unprepared, dear Aquarius. You may even see this person as a potential romantic partner. What you do about it, of course, depends on your situation. However, it probably isn't a good idea to pursue this attraction today. It may pass. Wait a few days, and if it's still there, well, who knows...



Ha! Sooooo, too late! And on that note, thank you, my darling Dirty Boy for the "wake-up call" this morn. And for the books! You are a boy among men and I like you all the more for it!




eh, hem... Now then, main point of this morning's posting (which may or may not turn out to simply be an extended rationalization designed to cover the fact that I am proving to be completely unable to keep my filthy paws off the baby brother of a dear old friend, but, as with everything else, we shall see shalln't we...)

oh! but before we get into that, can I just say, yesterday I went to meet CP and the Boo for the post-first-day-as-a-first-grader debriefing and in picking up aformentioned child (whilst she was off scampering around the playground one last time) I found myself embroiled in a conversation with two ladies about the "original" Bratz dolls vis a vis the newer introductions. Did I mention that these girls were 7 and 9 respectively? Did I mention that Boo was NOWHERE near the discussion area and that when she did finally come running up, backpack in place, ready to go, I made her wait whilst I clarified a point or two regarding a hertofore unknown addition to the pack(!!) I swear, there is something so intrinsically wrong with me it's almost a shame we can't map it on the human genome and start selecting against it in our unborn children. Anyway.... where was I?????




ah, yes, my theory of connection or what I like to call the "Connection Continuum" [jot that down folks and remember, when you see it showing up on Dr. Phil, you saw it here first!]

K. essentially what we are talking about is this. I'm thinking that everyone (and by everyone, I mean me) has an established set of ways in which they connect. Now I'm not saying that they necessarily have an established set of rules by which they become attracted or otherwise induced to connect (although, I'm working that theory out as well...) but that once they've decided that connection is what they're after then there is a pattern to the various things they do in which to derive the greatest amount of satisfaction from that particular type of connection.

For instance -- consider the first date. There are those who would NEVER consider kissing/touching/whathaveyou on the first date regardless of how much they may want to. Part of this may be due to societal influence, lack of self-knowledge, having eaten garlic for lunch but assuming that none of these is the overwhelming factor, I would posit that once a person has decided that a connection would be appropriate there is a script (or as we shall see upon further explication) a series of scriptlets which they follow that are essentially the same practically regardless of the individual who inspired them.

Now let me be perfectly clear. If I happen to find a person attractive due to their devastating wit and in finding them attractive I decide I would like to continue talking to them this is not to say that if I happen upon another individual who happens to have the nicest tits I've ever seen that my immediate response toward her will be to commence with the chinwag.... What I mean by scriptlets is that while I think that different people will arouse different reactions I think it's fair to say that the way in which I choose to react to someone with a beautiful body is probably going to be pretty close to the way in which I respond to an entirely different person who also has a beautiful (albeit differently beautiful) body. I'm talking about pattern-making, people, and I don't necessarily think is a bad thing. What is bad (and here's one of the places where everybody gets it wrong) is not having enough recognized patterns to cover the full spectrum of connection and so being forced to apply a pattern that may not be appropriate to the situation simply because it is familiar.

The way I see it, connection can best be described as a spectrum. At the one end (let's say the red end) you have pure unadulterated lust. At the other (the blue) you have the pristine clarity of platonic attachment. The first thing to note is that one cannot say that red is better than blue or vice versa. One may prefer the red tones to the blue but that's fairly situational in my opinion. The other thing to note would be that while there may be variances in intensity, there is no inherent escalation in the spectrum. Red does not HAVE to turn into blue. It might. Then again it might not, but it's not a predetermined path by which one should be made to feel bad if things aren't "moving along" there is no "along" there is only the continuum.

So then, here we have our continuum and our patterns of behavior. My contention is that, should a person, for whatever reason touch down in a particular spot on our continuum we will pull out whichever behavior we know will give us the most satisfactory interaction for that color. Case in point: My beautiful Dirty Boy weighs in at a fair to moderately intense red-orange. Given that this is where he falls I think that it is fine to just freaking jump on him instead of trying to treat him like I would a green-y blue acquaintance wherein I might try to have some deep intellectual conversation with him vis a vis my fears around flunking school, screwing up both of my eventual kid's lives and completely f***ing up at work thus getting my ass severely reprimanded, embarrassed beyond belief, and eventually fired (a conversation which I guarantee you he has no interest in nor aptitude for). Again, not to say that DB is simply good for the one type of interaction. I am a flexible, open-minded gal and the continuum is just that. Any person invited into my personal connection arena is more than welcome to exercise any and all latitude in exploring its prodigious length.

One key point here, however is that there is not a great deal changeablility in regards to girth. I am who I am and I will react to one intense violet blue in approximately the same way (allowing for SOME variance in circumstance etc.) as I would another violet-blue. That is to say, I will get hugely possessive of you and try to take care of every single aspect of your life to the point where (unless you are a five year old child) it may actually prove fairly insufferable. This is how I am with my violet blues. If you want to be a violet blue yet at the same time expect me to be somewhat relaxed about my deathgrip on your life, it, simply put, just ain't going to happen. Green-y blues have an easier time. While I may still sort of assume I own you, I'll at least let you have the time and space to live your own damn life (provided you update me constantly and there is at least tacit agreement that it's only a serious fluke of happenstance that your life isn't completely revolving around me.)

I guess my key point here though, is that regardless of the place you happen to be on the violet end of that continuum, there WILL be a measure of ownership on my part. That's what I mean by patterns. Interestingly enough, I'm not particularly possessive of my Reds. I think one thing that may happen in my life is that I end up in a relationship with someone who's mostly purple (that being a mix of blue and red for all you non-"creative" types) and that they may assign an aspect of how I'm acting (e.g. possessive) to the red (sex) side when, in fact, the redder it gets the less likely I am to demand fidelity... But I guess that's just grit for another mill....

Anyways. I'm tired of writing and that's really the gist of it. Just some of what I was thinking on my drive in this morning. Thoughts? Anyone...?

No comments: