Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Last night...


Two things happened.
1) I saw a Vampire
2) I got mugged

First, since I don't want anybody getting all freaked out or anything... I did have my money taken from me but 1) the mugger was incredibly polite/willing to negotiate and 2) I wasn't, in any way, hurt -- I mean, I'm a little freaked out about it (and I think I know who it was but in general there are a thousand ways it could have been much worse so there you go...)

Now then, this Vampire I saw: I know she was a Vampire because although she was not in any way "sterotypical" she was INSANELY attractive. I mean, I saw her standing waaaayyyyy at the end of the BART platform and was so completely captivated by her that I had to go hover for the rest of our trip. She had translucent skin, garnet colored lips and long wavy dark hair. She was dressed in as cool a way as a retro-type with modern influences gal could possibly be dressed with a blood red handbag and shoes. She had shades on at first but she took them off on the train ended up having these CLEAR golden eyes -- I'm telling you! She didn't smile or anything but after she figured out I was staring at her, she kind of did this half-grin/half-snarl thing revealing part of a set of remarkably white (remarkably pointed) teeth.... She also had these beautiful long, pearlescent fingernails.... Seriously, it was weird. It was weirder because I seemed to be the only one who even noticed her. People were moving all around her without looking at her at all. Very odd, i tell you. Very odd indeed. Anyway....

Then, on the walk home, it was dark and I had my hood up and pretty close to where I turn off Tele to get to my house I noticed a long shadow moving up pretty quickly behind me (this was after I had just passed two individuals obviously engaged in a drug deal a little ways up the street) -- so this individual comes up and puts his hand over my mouth and says "I just want the purse, gimme the purse." I said "Can i just give you the money and keep the purse?"-- (I had to repeat myself a coupla times cause he kept saying "Don't talk, don't talk, just gimme the purse" but finally he said "Yeah. Gimme the money." so I opened my wallet and found... no money at all. Nice. I showed it to him and said I didn't have any money and he said "Why not?" (which truth be told, was a damn good question) and I said "I don't know." Then we both sort of stood there (and this was weird because I was thinking "Hmmm, why don't I have any money and what can I do to get out of this if I don't have anything to give him?" and he still kind of had his arm around me but in a very relaxed way -- I mean, neither of us was tense or anything) until I remembered that I did have some money in my organizer so I said "wait! i do have money!" (in a kind of bizzarrely triumphant way -- also weird in retrospect) and I found it and gave it to him. While I was looking, he took the opportunity to explain to me that he was "an addict" and he had to do this to "feed his habit." I assured him that I understood (and then, for some reason, I started to get tense, so then he got tense and I had to remind myself to relax again). I gave him the money and he said "O.K. don't turn around." and I said "o.k. i'm not turning around" and that was it. He left. i continued on my way.

Now, analysis-wise, I didn't really feel scared (and still don't) although I did feel really agitated for a few hours afterwards and I definitely have resolved to not ride BART home with Miss Boo anymore in the Winter since it's dark by the time we get to our hood-- although part of me (and maybe I'm being naive) thinks that had i had the kid with me Mr. Drugged-Out-Criminal Man wouldn't have picked me to rob; I dunno, I just think he'd have picked an easier target than some lady with a kid since a mom might really freak out if she thinks her kid's in danger or her kid might act unpredictably or whatever... but still no train for Me and the Boo at least until Daylight Savings time begins again.... and I was pretty suspicious-acting around the guy-who-I-think-it-was (just some random druggy middle aged guy who recently started hanging around our neighborhood looking sketchy) but all in all, in the grand scheme of things it was a fairly polite robbery and I got to keep all my credit cards, addresses and photos of my kid so I'm all good. I think. Maybe it'll sink in tonight when I'm walking home (or maybe I'll get robbed again!) and I'll wig a bit more but right now.... I think things are still fairly rosy in the Chickster world.

No comments: