Thursday, April 22, 2004

I don wanna talk about it...


Poker sucks.

At the time of my leaving though, this new chick Nikki looked pretty much to be cleaning up though so, I'm confident that the estrogen still prevailed last night!

Speaking of which, coupla thoughts about boys. First off, last night we had some new peeps adding thier personalities to the poker-age and while I'm all for increasing the pool of money that I will win, one particular new person introduced cigars into the mix and I just have to say -- not all that impressed. It was funny though, When the subject of smoking came up, me and Sir James were kind of hemming and hawing, not thrilled but not being particularly explicit about our disapproval either (which, obviously DIDN'T WORK because half the room started puffing anyway!) but the first thing Sweet Miss K. said upon entering after a long day spent helping the less fortunate stop bleeding was "My God, what stinks??!" She then made everybody open all the windows and went on quite loudly for awhile about how annoying the smell/smoke was. K. rocks!

Anyway, I was talking about boys.... What was I going to say about that? Hmmmm. Oh, yeah, so Cigar Man, in introducing the concept of smokage actually did ask if anyone would mind but he only asked the girls. Or rather he asked the boys what they thought the girls would think. The girls who were sitting right there. In the room. Actively engaging in the conversation and stuff. "How about the ladies?" Cigar Man inquired politely. I have no idea why this stands out as weird to me but it felt solicitous yet dismissive at the same time. ESPECIALLY when the anti-smokers were fairly divided evenly moungst the sexes. Anyway. Sort of drove home the point that there are some men that I'm just not going to "get" and that's o.k.

Second thing I was thinking involved older boys (like in their 20s) and little girls (we're talking 6 years old and below). Now before we go leaping to the tried and true knee-jerk, cliched reactions vis a vis these types of relationships let me just say that this is not going to be a fear-based discussion about a few people who lose complete control of thier ability to set and recognize appropriate boundaries (if they ever had the ability that is.) Child-molesters suck. We hate them. Moving on. What I find interesting is the fact that there seems to be some impetus for twenty something boys to really connect with little girls in a way that is really comfortable and easy for both of the parties involved. Boo has at least three older gentleman friends ranging in age from 23 to 29. They are all upstanding (mostly), responsible, sweet young men and, for some reason, they all seem to really enjoy hanging out with my kid. And we're not talking about babysitting here, we're talking about hanging out, having conversations, factoring in time to re-connect, getting added to the official Boo phone list, etc. etc. etc. For the record I think it's great but I'm still a little in awe of my six year old's ability to have the kind of relationships with grown men (minus the sex) that most of my straight girl friends would KILL for. Anyway. This is already getting rambley so I'll stop now. Happy day people. Make sure it's fun!

No comments: