Friday, August 06, 2004

Clarity doesn't necessarily make it better...


So, a good friend of mine just got dumped by thier siggie and I think that sucks. I think it sucks for a whole variety of reasons not just because the GFOM is a GREAT person who soooo doesn't enter into this kind of crap lightly and even moresooooo doesn't deserve getting in any way made to feel miserable about anything (ever!) but also because it occurred to me (in analyzing this -- as is my wont with things that really are none of my business) that even had this person been clear about their feelings and/or lack thereof my friend probably still would have gotten hurt. That bugs me. I want people to take it upon themselves to be clear in their intentions but I also want it to be enough that when a person is clear, that the other person picks up on the warning signals contained therein and scales thier emotional response accordingly (this is all theorhetical BTW -- I have no idea what actually happened within the confines of my Buddy's relationship...) But then I think "Is that even/ever possible?" Is it desirable. In the first place, noone is ever able to be really clear about anything because noone knows what the hell they really want. In the second place, I've had people tell me flat out that they don't want me (never have, never will) and rather than taking that bit of info like the well-meant "back-off" it is intended to be, it just makes me want them more. So, I guess what I'm really saying is not that I want the world to be more forthcoming with/responsive to "clarity" in all it's incarnations -- I guess, I really just want a way to make it so the people I care about don't get hurt all the time. I'm also somehow guessing that finding and beating up all the transgressors is also pretty much out of the question...




In other news, the Boo told me an off-color joke last night which she learned from a friend of hers who is seven. The joke involved a foreigner and his English teacher, an airport, a zoo and an infant. The punchline of this masterpiece was: "Take off ze-bra, Baby!" which she explained to me was funny because it was French. {shakes head} I was and am, quite honestly at a loss.

No comments: