Monday, April 11, 2005

And today's F*** YOU! goes to...


This chick at the park yesterday who stared at my littlest one for close to ten minutes before walking up and asking "Is her hair some sort of fashion statement?" I replied "No. It's just her hair." Still though. Pissed me off. How exactly is it that people seem to think they're allowed to comment on my coarse-haired child's supposed life of folicular woes whereas they would NEVER dream of applying the same sort of commentary to my smoother-haired big girl... I get that it's a "cultural" thing but it's also an annoyingly judgmental, borderline racist thing that needs to stop is all. I mean, I can be cool with the term "interesting" as it applies to hair, because it, quite frankly, is pretty cool to look at, it's the assumption that her hair needs to be "fixed" or that I'm supposed to agonize over "taming"/"combing" and "managing" it that's got my particular panties in a wad. And it comes from EVERYBODY (even people who should know better - MOM!) -- anyway. Nothing new, just something to add to my list of things to fight against is all. I have to get some better comebacks though. "It's just her hair!" is true but it's not pissy enough. What if I get tiny t-shirts made that say "Nappy-headed!" with a cute little brown baby girl on the front and the words "Proud much?" on the back -- That might be just the ticket...!

No comments: