Friday, July 28, 2006

2,414 miles in four days...


Quick note to my so called "friends": when I say to you, "Oh, yeah, we're going to fly to New Mexico and pick up my brother's family then drive out to North Dakota to see my Grandma and my Minnesota cousins, then maybe head back in time to hang out with my dad (Arizona) and my mom for a coupla seconds before we head home -- I'm figuring it'll take 5 days, tops!" sit me down, look me straight in the eye and explain to me that that is INSANE. Then take away whatever it was I was drinking/smoking and tuck me in for a nice little nappy-nap before I hurt someone....

Trip was (is -- technically it's not done yet although we did make it back to my brother's house late last night) really very nice. I LOVE my family and I am constantly amazed by the brillance that is my 16 y.o. niece especially when she is around the Boo. My Grandma is little and frail (92 y.o.) and is still up and about and fiesty as hell. My baby brother is coping which is what I guess we all expected him to do but which is still amazing to me. We're going out tonight for a little one-on-one so I can get an accurate gauge on his mental state before deciding if I need to extend my trip. I also discovered the place where we're all (friends and family included, so start figuring out your finances) going to need to move in approximately 10 years ... I've got pictures and stuff so I'll post more details about that later this week. All in all, I would say i'm a little worn out but I'm glad we came and everyone seems to be doing remarkably well. I'm so in love with my family I can't even stand it but i'm also very much missing all the sweet, thoughtful, caring buddies I left at home so it'll be nice to get back so I can start not-ever-seeing-them again!

No comments: