Friday, August 18, 2006

All I can say is "wow!"


Yesterday was AMAZING. It started off a bit sketchy since i had to take the day off from work to get two things accomplished 1)figuring out the financial aid sitch since money i thought the government was going to give me so i could go to school seems to have suspiciously "not been credited to my account" and 2) to take one really big girl and one little big girl to the dentist for check-ups.

So, I get to the school and find out all about this new law passed by Mr. Bush to the tune of "no federal funding for more than 8 semesters of grad school TOTAL!" translated to mean I am facing 16,000.00 in fees that I need to pay by Monday. Being a sensible girl I sat right down and cried. But then I picked myself up and took myself over to the Office of Grad studies where I officially took a semester's leave of absence hoping to buy some time to sort all this nonesense out. But wait, you're asking, when does the amazing part come in??? Well, I headed over to let my beautiful, smart, perfect-in-every-way advisor know about the situation and the following conversation ensued:

Her:So, what does that mean? Does that mean you're going to stop working?
Me:Um. Doesn't it sort of equal that? I mean, I guess I could do some more reading or something... then in the spring--
Her:[turning to her computer, pulling something up, printing it and handing it to me] Here. This is a reading list. I've been thinking about this and I don't think you should use the proposal you turned in last Spring. It's good but it's not you. You should do fictive narrative.
Me: Uh. O.K.
Her: Read these authors and let me know when you have a sense for where you fit in thier conversation. We'll re-write your proposal then start outlining your basis for considering this form legitimate theory...
Me: Uh...
Her: Hmmmmm. Who are we going to get to sit on your committee...? [looking through her rolodex] O.k. while you're doing all of that I'm going to call Susan Krieger, she's written some stuff around this. And let's see... I can probably get Pavitra [Sundar. aka "Marking Time: Gender, Sexuality, Nation, and Temporality in Hindi Film Music"] or Christina [Mendoza. "Crossing Borders: Narrative Identities of Gender, Class and Citizenships among Domestic Workers on the U.S.-Mexican Border"] to sit in. Let me see what I can do. [quick wink and smile in my direction] Don't worry, we'll have you out of here by May!
Me:... I love you. (not really but I did sit there staring in mute adoration until she shooed me out.)

{note: to any official Mills types who may inadvertantly have stumbled upon this blog, all names and situations have been changed. I am IN NO WAY SUGGESTING that my beautiful professor would ever violate a school/pupil contract by assisting a person scholastically who was not legitimately registered for the appropriate semester!}

Heart.

THEN pick up the girls and take them to the dentist where... they behaved BEAUTIFULLY! And this was Spark's first time! I mean sure there was the clingy and the "no. I no wan to!" but once she saw what a trooper her big sis wa and once she got to sit on my lap (and once we all understood that she was simply not down with being an "alligator" but had NO problem opening up like a "dinosaur" well... let's just say it was alllll good. Plus, no cavities! And "good spacing (whatever that means.) Although Boo's midline is apparently .5 milimeters off on the top -- there's a shift to the left. I am soooooo not worried. :-]

sigh. so basically a great day all round. Today was swell too. Boo was with me at work so that was fun. The week-end promises to be lovely. School shopping, Santa Cruz, my new boyfriend... just full of yummy goodness!

No comments: