Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It's just a collection of metal parts, right??

Seriously. Who mourns a truck's death? i do.

The truck has officially moved on. yes, technically it "moved on" well over a year ago but because i am proving to be frighteningly true to my New Mexico upbringing, i am all about leaving ones broke-down truck "up on blocks in the front yard" until such a time as I "get around to fixing it!"

Well, another truck came. Old truck never actually got fixed. Sort of became storage moving toward liability then thinking about high school for the big girl and massive house cleaning/re-arranging and "bulky stuff" set out on the curb for pick up and me thinking "it's time!" Time to donate the old truck. time to move on. time to embrace the extra space and let our two car driveway actually accommodate our two (working) cars for once. Very nice man came right on time. Sign here and here and here. I'll just attach these pully things here and here and viola! You're done. Thank you for your time/donation. Have a nice day. It looked sad. I'm sad too. Couple of things occurred to me in that moment, looking at the truck all propped up and about to be towed for the last time:

1) I love/d that truck
2) I had that truck longer than I've had almost anything else (kids, relationships, various homes, friendships -- the one caveat here being the Big Girl who beat the truck by just a few months)
3) Symbolically, that truck did a whole hell of a lot of heavy lifting (first major purchase after supposed partner for life broke up with me, nice/obvious indicator of Alt Girl identity, big and powerful and able to be lived in if necessary making actual allegiance to any one home pretty much unnecessary, cool reference item at parties, RED with a padded plush bed -- nuff said)
4) Almost all my really great pictures/memories involve the truck (even if they're defined by the lack of it for some reason.)
5) More than anyplace i've lived (remember we moved ALOT when i was a kid) the truck defined my (MY) space. Like a turtle. No matter where we were if we were in the truck we were home.

{blah} k. so.... now i feel like i'm getting (getting??!) maudlin. It's just a piece of machinery right?

I'll stop. Entered into the record though, the bumper stickers:

"We have enough youth -- How about looking for a fountain of smart?"
"I'm more invested in the fate of communities than I am in the catharsis of individuals"

1 comment:

wifey said...

*sniff*.

Truck was also host to our first date-adventure .. and I actually got to drive it !