Monday, June 23, 2003

Standing up to be counted...


Er... ah... I mean sitting down! So, I've been selected to participate in a nationwide survey regarding adults and reading. I received a brochure in the mail (which I promptly tossed into my oft cleaned, never smelly kitchen gar-bage receptacle) then Friday eve this guy comes around with a sheaf of papers asking if I am, in fact, the person living in ... blah, blah, blah and if i could answer a few questions. Suffice to say, I , like most of my fellow Americans probably would not have even opened the door had I known who this person was and what he represented but, since I did, I felt it behooved me to invite him the hell in. Long story short, The ole US of A is trying to get a feel for "adult reading patterns" and I (I) get to represent my block! Whoo Hoo! Jane Eyre, in the house, yo! Anyway, this, as with most things, started with "a few questions" yet quickly became "I'll come over Monday evening for 2 hours and ask you every imaginable question I can dream up about the ways in which you fancy yourself literate." {sigh} I mean, I suppose it's for the good of the country or something but what about Seinfeld? ... Speaking of which, I went ahead and assumed from the sheaf and the standard issue laptop that ole Jim Ferguson [6'2'', Caucasian male, early 50's, clean-shaven with greying hair] was not a serial killer but, in the event that I fail to post tomorrow, go to my house and check the crawlspace. Oh, and feed the cats. If, by chance, I'm not in the crawlspace and am instead someplace more easily accesible (like under the bed) I don't want them lunching on my remains.

No comments: