Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Segregation...



Good or Bad? Discuss...

Didn't we just spend a whole bunch of time trying to become more visibly in "the mainstream" so we could become more familiar (meaning less scary) and ergo less likely to get pounded all the time...? I dunno, In my humble opinion the only rational/legal way this school can continue to exist is if it is open to anyone who wishes to attend it. I mean, I can see establishing it as a safe space for gay, lesbian, transgender, and questioning youth but seriously, I don't think a publicly funded school is allowed to not let certain students in (and what are they going to have to do anyway -- pass a little quiz? Produce someone of the same gender/orientation and make out with them for a specific amount of time?? Mind -- boggles...) C'mon. Separating "the gays" may make for a more comfortable high school learning environment (maybe) but it's not going to address the larger social issues of inclusion and acceptance and I think it might just end up making things worse further down the line...

No comments: