Friday, July 11, 2003

Who says there are no decent guys left??



Courtesy of the Stranger Personals (Sidenote, how pathetic am I that I first clicked on the "classified" tab because I didn't know what "Personals" stood for. I thought it was kink-specific...)

"GOOD LOOKING, $TABLE, 48YO WIDOWER

Seeks female companionship for possible LTR. I will treat you good--dating a guy with a Corvette in summertime doesn't suck. 8997"



I know it's entirely unnecessary to call attention to the cre8tve spelling but... what sort of woman is this guy after exactly? I mean, I can't imagine he's fishing for someone who is primarily interested in his wallet (in that case he wouldn't have mentioned the 'Vette.) dunno, maybe I'm reading WAY too much into this but the fact that he says he's good-looking and that he'll treat his potential new flame "good" makes me think he really is interested in something a bit beyond your standard business transaction.... Let's hear it folks, is this guy just including those qualities that he thinks women are interested in or is he simply looking to exchange cold hard cash for warm, soft ... [the obvious rhyme is too crude even for someone of my dilettante sensibilities to transcribe, so I'll stop this particular musing now...moving along....]



O.K. now here's an etiquete point [This morning's blog is simply filled with questions that I'll need some answers to from you, my public, so put your writing caps on...] Yesterday, whilst on the train to go get the world's-most-perfect-child, I ran into Angel and his New Boy (who was wearing his cowboy boots!!) After a bit of the back and forth I launched into a particularly amusant story re: something (I forget exactly what but trust me it was hilarious) only to notice, upon finishing, that the boys did not seem to find it quite as delightful as I. I mean, they were polite and everything but the response was decidedly restrained. I immediately demanded to know what possibly could have happened during thier formative years that could have produced trauma so severe that would render them incapable of appreciating a quality story, only to learn that they'd heard it before. Rather, they'd read it before, on my blog. It was funny then. Upon re-telling, however it grew a bit stale.

Now here's my question, I contend that the bastards should have told me immediately that I was re-hashing or at the very least, if they were determined to let me drag myself to the punchline, they should have done a better job of pretending they were at a first hearing. It's weird and uncomfortable to be upstaged by yourself and (not to issue idle threats or anything) in a way it sort of makes me think i should either not write the good stuff (making for a boring blog) or not relate it to random passer-by (making for a boring me). Which is not to say I can't be fully entertaining on both counts! I gots stories! You tell me you've heard one, I'll pull another out of the hat but I contend (again, still) that it is up to the listener to let me know they've already experienced the money-shot for that particular story and that we should please move on. Am I wrong here? what do we think?



Lastly, I've been on a waiting list for a monthly parking space near where I'm currently working for about a month now, and I just got a call saying there was one available. Now, what with summer (no school for the Boo) and the new schedule, I find that I'm not driving all that much these days. Once school begins, in late August, I will undoubtably be driving more (maybe 3 or 4 days a week) but, even so, the fixed, monthly price is comparable to 4-5 days a week parking.

Benefits as I see them:

  • Guaranteed parking no matter how late i'm running (this may be key once the new kid arrives and I have to work out her schedule as well)
  • Not having to make sure I have eight freaking dollars every single time I feel like parking near work

    Drawbacks:

  • Currently, I don't really need the space since I'm driving so little but I can't be sure another space is going to open up when I do need it
  • In the grand scheme of things I'll probably be spending a bit more on parking than I would have otherwise
  • Having a guaranteed space might make me more inclined to drive when I don't need to thus increasing traffic congestion, adding to the greenhouse effect and making me more stressed and thus slightly less pleasant to be around
  • Having a guaranteed parking space might make me a bit more inclined to sleep in which might lead to unpleasantness in the Nirvana I call work...

    So, what do we think? Do I grab this space now or do I let it go and take my chances with fate as they say...
  • No comments: