Thursday, September 04, 2003

Comments



Alrighty then, how's everyone doing? Good? Good. It has recently been suggested that the "comments" area of this blog is insufficient in that it is too damn tiny and "that nobody reads it anyway." Now, I for one, love the comments section primarily because when a loyal reader does deign to actually type something in, it's usually pretty funny (what can I say, it would appear that I am surrounded by people who are witty to a freaking fault!) thing is, not alot of people seem inclined to use the comments functionality more than sporatically. NOT that this is a problem. I'm all about the rambling on and on and on until someone calls the cops... What I would like to know though is IF I were to figure out a way to make the comments slighty more accessible to the general reading population (a task which may or may not involve a move to a whole other blogging system) would any of you be more likely to leave your thoughts? Conversely, if I left it the way it is but took it upon myself to periodically post those insights that, in my humble opinion, were particualrly apt/made me fall out of my chair would that suffice? Furthermore, do we think it would be my moral obligation to notify the individual before making their comment more public or is the fact that they left it in the first place enough to get me out of any potential legal situations vis a vis making those thoughts a bit more apparent...? My initial impulse here is to establish a "comments" area where I can copy and post any related notes that strike my particular fancy while still leaving the full comments section for persons to explore should I forget/not have time to regularly go back and edit past postings.... What do we think?




K. Next. A super big shout to my splendid ex-co-worker buddy SAH who is currently frolicing in the sunny, bohemian climes of Ann Arbor, MI, who checked in this morning to say that all is well and who I miss terribly! This whole "you-working-somewhere-else" thing? I don't think that was such a good an idea after all.... So, you be coming back, when??

Actually, along those lines I wandered in this morning completely sad that I haven't had a chance to check in with my boyz who are actually located right around the freaking corner! (Damn new job responsibilities! Damn school!) Luckily the always adorable Tony stopped by to remind me of my priorities and I was able to squeeze in a visit with not only his fine self but with my super-favorite Sir J as well!

Sheesh. I've got a freaking lot going on right now. It's nice that everything seems to be falling into place but still....




School. Love school. Still hot for teacher. After class on Tuesdee, Prof. K. suggested we get together to discuss "what I wanted to get out of her class" to see if she could "help me with anything" eh, hem... The aforementioned tete a tete happened yesterday and will happen some more on Monday since I was late (dur!) and she didn't feel like we had enough time to really get into the various ideas she had for "helping me advance"...! Sigh. I heart her. My Wed. class went well as well. Berk. Teacher is a bit scattered but fellow students are cute/smart seeming and I like roaming around the campus -- although I am SOOOOO taking BART from now on. It costs in the nieghborhood of 12.00 - 15.00 to park over there for one freaking 3 hour class!! Bastards! Anyway... I had a ton of reading to do and two little papers to write which I actually did so I feel pretty on top of my game (right this second. Check back with me in a week and I guarantee you, I'll be flailing...!) One of our readings for the class was/is Bone Black by bell hooks and I have got to say, it didn't really strike me the way I thought it would. I mean, this is pretty indicative of the type of review I associate with this particular memoir and I was really very excited to read it but, I dunno, it just didn't stike me as all that brillant. I mean, maybe I'm not aware enough of the time/space/issues that she's writing about to understand how powerful her living through them was but on some level, I guess I expect a writer to anticipate that.... To be perfectly honest, I responded to this book the same way I did to The Bluest Eye -- I LOVE Toni Morrison, I wanted to love this book, but I just couldn't get into the writing. I dunno. In a way I feel like a bad feminist or something but at the same time I have no problem getting completely into any of several (all) of Milan Kundera's books not because I know any more about communism in Prague than I do about the South during the early part of the century, but with Mr. Kundera I don't HAVE to know anything about the locale. The way that man puts words together to describe feelings/impressions is nothing short of genius and it never occurs to me to wonder if perhaps someone else might be getting more out of the text than I am....




In other news, Big Brother is driving out tonight from New Mexico for a little visit and to participate in a triathlon. I, for one, am thrilled that he's coming out onna counta I heart him very much. I'm a teeny bit confused however as to how exactly one watches a triathlon -- given the various wide-ranging components...? Ah, well, I'm sure it will all become clear in by Sundee. Also arriving via plane will be the luverly Missus Bro and the Squirt whom I will be squiring about all day on Sat. Yay! I am fairly positive that much fun will be had by all.




Last and certainly least, here's some political crap you'all might be interested in....



* * * *


sick of writing documents wrote:
comments??? How about full on discussion board!! Time to post some inflammatory stuff and have at 'er. People should leave their names, or be an "anonymous coward", much like slashdot. Time to start some word wars...



Chick wrote:
Ha! and here's me thinking I've been inflammatory all along...!



a loyal hockey fan wrote:
I'm loving the comments section. Are they moderated, or do they go straight to production with no usability review? If not moderated, I'd basically be free to vandalize with whatever propaganda I see fit. Anyway, in terms of the Bush recall effort, those people approached me at a peace rally in February. It bothered me at the time because I think even poor decisions must be suffered through. I've watched many (failed) recall efforts come and go in my home province of BC. They're the same every time, big press release, big news, gether some signatures, less press, it dies off and fails to attract enough attention before the deadline. We all shake our heads and wonder why we suffered through it. The Davis recall appears to be a different story. It looks like it's really going to work. Scary stuff.



No comments: