Sunday, November 30, 2003

Total Hate



Hullo folks, hope the Turkey day was all you wanted it to be and more! Today I officially hate this guy:

Noah's Bagels staffperson: Can I help you?
Marin type guy in Outback Red Windslicker thing: {holding two partially eaten bagel sandwiches} These are completely underdone. I've ordered these maybe thirty times and I know how they should taste and these aren't cooked right.
NBSP: O.K. Let me take your order again...
MTGIOWST: She didn't cook it right. You have to set the right time on the microwave and really watch it
NBSP: Two...?
MTGIOWST: EggMitts with Egg Beaters, Cheddar Cheese, pepper and chives ONLY, toasted on an everything bagel
NBSP: Yes, Sir. We'll make them right away. {turns to give order to other staff person who has been there at least six years - I know this because I've been going there for six years and she is always very pleasant to me}
MTGIOWST: {leaning over counter - raised eyebrows} ah, ah, ah... can I have someone else make them please?
NBSP: {shrugs, begins to make the sandwiches} ...
MTGIOWST: {now leaning on counter supervising the microwaving process; nodding} good.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!! Why do people like this even exist?! What the freaking hell can this guy's life be like that he needs to be this much of a self-satisfied ASS in front of his wife/partner/girlfriend/casual aquaintance/total-stranger-who-just-happens-to-be-sitting-at-the-same-table and kid?????

I hate him. I really, really do.

O.K. now then, back to me.



I am at work right now testing an application. Now, boys and girls, I know there are those out there who might tell you otherwise but don't you think for a minute that testing is not Fun Fun Fun!! (!!) Actually, I've only just started testing. The bits I really wanted to look at, I can't get to work so I'm more sitting and staring and occassionally cursing as I drag my tired ass back over to the stupid cube where our stupid test machine is sitting so i can restart the stupid webserver... I'm also drinking coffee (gasp!) which probably accounts for my surly attitude. I'm telling you, the switch back to tea didn't come soon enough! (Disclaimer: I'm only drinking this cup of coffee because the OTHER person who is here today just handed it to me and it seemed really wrong to smile up at his drenched face and say "Hey, thanks for leaving the building, going out into the rain and struggling back through both locked doors with two cups of steaming hot liquid, but I'm actually not really drinking coffee anymore. That stuff'll kill ya!"). Take that, MTGIOWST! This is what courtesy looks like!



Alrighty then, whilst we wait for yet another re-start, coupla quick things re: this past holiday.

1) Co-parenting sucks. Maybe it's just me and my raised-by-a-single-mom ethic but seriously, there is nothing more disconcerting than having it demonstrated to you yet again that somewhere in the world is a relative stranger whom you didn't actually like/trust/value enough to stay with forever but whom for some inexplicable reason has an equal claim to the person you love more than anything else ever. I mean WTF?? O.K. granted it's not that bad but still, it's wierd. It's wierd realizing that there are two people trying to instruct and instill values and sculpt one little mind and that those two people are not together mostly because they could not re-concile their world views. Those same world views, I might add, that are getting foisted upon an innocent little sponge person who is then tasked with trying to sort them all out in such a way as to not offend any of the sixty-thousand adults who are depending on her to make their lives perfect...

As you may have intuited CP and I had a slighty rocky Thanksgiving, mostly because it was just us with no one around to run interference. Boo is still having issues with Demon Child at school and CP is of the opinion that Boo "should just walk away." Now, I was there on Wed. watching them on the playground and while it may be a great idea in theory, it just doesn't seem like the simplest strategy to implement so I suggested perhaps Boo remember that she could just walk away but that maybe we'd try to figure out something else as well. CP took what I was proposing to be exclusive of her and bristled. I took her bristling as failing to understand the real-life situation and got annoyed, Boo tried to run interference by changing the subject to the brownies we were making and we all tr-la-la'd it from there...

I think the main problem is that the two of us aren't usually trying to parent at the exact same time in the same space so when we do, it feels like we're stomping all over each other's ideas... My solution, along those lines, would be to just never be in the same place at the same time but I sense that both CP and the Boo might be unhappy with that little arrangement so I'll have to see what else I can figure out. One thing I did notice was that CP is better at Co-parenting than i am. I think this because she is able to recognize me as an equal parent and can share/relinquish her role when I'm around. I cannot. I mean, I understand that she is also raising our kid but at the same time I just cannot step back. When I'm around Boo, I'm her parent and that is just the way it is. I expect her to follow my rules, heed my advice, turn to me if she needs assurance -- regardless of who else is there. Furthermore, I don't see this as a major problem so it's unlikely that I will change. {sigh} I just don't think I'm cut out to "co" where parenting is concerned....

No comments: