Monday, May 31, 2004

Kindness of strangers...


Attempted laundry today with the kids in tow and realized how very quickly the simplest things can become a freaking ordeal. i also learned how remarkably sweet total strangers can be for no reason other than because they feel like being sweet. Trust me. It wasn't like they were trying to get into my pants or anything. I had kid drool all over me and was wearing my "wash-day" outfit... Also, I'm not surper sure I'll ever be bathing again so it's not like there was even an olefactory incentive there!

I am doing two things right now. I am composing an post and I am also watching The Collected No Doubt Videos. I am doing both of these things sitting at my desk in my room. There are many reasons why this whole situation thrills me to no end but the top five are as follows:

1) Travelin' Man lent me this super nifty DVD player as well as bought me this cool DVD featuring the aforementioned videos. TM rocks. hard.

2) Whilst my computing area was established via my "desktop" PC I rarely (read "never") used it just for the fun of it. Boo played on it quite a bit but it wasn't easily hooked up to any sort of internet access source so mainly it was all about typing papers and working on stuff I copied onto a disk from work and brought home. Since getting a work laptop the only time the Pink Monstrosity was called into play was when Boo wanted to make stuff using KidPix. I've since shipped PM off to my mom in NM (big Brother just set it up for her. Interestingly enough he's the best kid now cause he set the thing up. Me? I just shipped it! Whatever. It's not like I've only got the one mom -- wait... ;-]) Anyway! Long story short, I got a new laptop, wireless DSL and a relatively clean work area on the world's coolest drop leaf desk. My computing life right now is sweet.

3) Baby is asleep. My God, can I just say two kids is exhausting. I'm not going to go there with the "careful what you ask for" blah, blah, blah because I'm the luckiest human being on the planet and this luck is best illustrated by taking a cool appraising glance at the stuff in my life that is exactly as I requested it... I'm just tired is all and glad Sparkle takes the occassional nap so I can stop chasing her around...

4) Boo is better. She was sick yesterday. Throwing up. Miserable on the couch all day. 102.5 fever. I called the advice nurse at Children's who scared the HELL out of me -- "Sounds like she has a stomach virus. Could last up to 48 hours. Vomitting will probably be followed by diarrhea which could last for up to five days. Call us back when her temp hits 104. Other than that just keep her comfortable and hydrated." WTF??! Anyway, she stopped vomitting mid-day and her temp never went higher than 102. No diarrhea either. She was MUCH better this morning. Ergo, my world=great.

5) La, la, la! I get to see my Pretend Girlfriend tomorrow. I haven't seen her in forever and I had just decided I needed to stop acting silly vis a vis her adorableness when (ta-da!) I went to see my BBQ who got me all stirred up again. So, we're pretty much back at square "stupid" -- ah well. There are no doubt worse people to have crushes on. (In fact... I think I've already cycled through most of them!)

So, there you have it. I'm happy right now. Tired but happy. I also have the best friends ever with the cutest hand-me-downs for my Sparkle! I'm telling you, I don't think I could have planned this better if I'd tried!

No comments: