Saturday, June 19, 2004

The horror...!



I have just been informed by Bazaar that "dishelved hippy","maxi-coats", and "pink as a 'statement'" are out. Damn. I was this close to being cutting edge!

K. now, let's see where were we... Took Miss Sparkle to the Doctor on Wed. so they could check her "pincer grasp" and get me all worried about her apparent "lack of it." Whatever. I have a huge issue with medical peeps (however well-meaning) attempting to quantify/evaluate babies and their development vis a vis agreed upon "stages." I mean on the one hand all the literature re: what kids are "supposed" to be doing in the first grade is all about reassuring caretakers that "children learn at different speeds and that some skills may be temporarily 'lost' as new ones develop." yet at the same time I'm supposed to get all freaked out and start searching for a qualified physical therapist all because my 13 month old isn't (theorhetically -- the Dr. didn't actually have anything small for her to try to pick up) "pincing things"! Annoys me. Also, what is up with hospitals needing to take a litre of blood every every single time they see your kid? Sheesh. I loves me some Oakland Children's Hospital but I really can't stand the western medical profession.

In other child-related news, the Boo made me laugh so hard i swallowed my gum the other day when we were driving home. We'd just been having a super serious discussion about how someone can be your friend yet still not be very nice when she says (all serious face and quiet tone) "Mommy can I ask you a question?" "Sure Sweetie," I reply (with concerned frown) "You can ask me anything."

"Are you looking for free checking?" saith she.
"Huh?" Saith me
"or how about an iPod" she suggests reading the next billboard we pass.

This continues until I can't even stand it any longer and am about to die laughing then she sums up by glancing at an advert for the newest BMW and announcing "It's just another Toyota!" {sigh, wipe eye} I love that kid.

Not really much else going on. Both childrens are responding well to their new day watching. Miss Sparkle will be starting to go from 8am-3pm on Mondee and if all continues to go well, she'll be in full-time as of week after next and I'll be back in the trenches (which I've surprisingly missed of late) trying to meet some serious deadlines/prove some key people didn't make one freaking horrible mistake by every thinking I was in any way qualified to do anything.

Oh! Saw my PG on Thursday which was GREAT although she made me feel guilty by inquiring whether or not I've spoken to Pretty Boy lately. Nope. I suck. Which reminded me that I've also not called my BBQ in about a year and a half either and while I could possibly continue living should Mr. Boy decide he never wanted to speak to me ever again (not really), I will never be over requiring the constant attention/guidance doled out by the ever-sweet Best Buddy Q meaning, of course, that at the very least I'm gonna have to get the hell over the "too busy" thing and give that gal a call!

No comments: