Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Circle life


My kid informed me last night via phone that my "life is closed." We were discussing my plans to take down (finally. After a year and a half) a picture that my Ex had made for me representing the four of us (me, her, her kid and my kid) as a single unit. It's a great picture and my kid likes it -- which, in part, accounts for the delay in it's removal post-break-up -- but it says "Mi familia" which we currently are not so I'm replacing  it with the new fancy 10X13 pic of me and my two girls all dressed up looking about as close to God-fearin' middle america as you can get (if you allow for the fact that 1) my hair is not as big as it should be, 2) I'm wearing far too little make-up and 3) my babies obviously originated from two "different daddies"... Actually, scratch that last one. By New Mexico standards DD's are pretty much par for the course. Anyway. New picture goes up, old picture comes down and I'm having a discussion with my big kid (who I MISS) about it all and she says, "Yeah, probably time to take that picture down. I don't think she was the right girl for you." Which is interesting/surprising on all sorts of levels but since I'm trying to be the adult in this relationship and since I'm TRYING not to take my dating advice from a six year old, I simply say "Hmm. Really?" Then the Boo says. "Besides, now you have Sparkle. We're all done." "Done?" I inquire. "Yeah, we're closed. Like a circle. We don't need anyone else." Which, when you think about it is kind of sad while at the same time it's kind of nice. It's also kind of true. At least right now anyway....



No comments: