Tuesday, October 25, 2005

overheard yesterday in my kid's classroom...


"uh, huh! 'No guns in class.' I mean, it's like a world rule! Sheesh. It's not like I sit around at home and think up stuff that's going to bum you guys out...!"

Quick, whose 8-year old is being taught by a recovering hippie this year?

In other news, I tried going into work today but I jsut got bummed out so after I went to the doc-tee-aires to have my stich-ii removed, I ended up playing hooky for the rest of the afternoon. Which, interestingly enough, is not something I generally do. I mean, if I have a paper due or my kid is sick or something then, yeah, I'll stay home, but I'm not normally prone to "absence due to sheer bummed-out-ness..." then again the bummed out bit is directly work related so maybe it was for the best that I sat this one out.

I spent the majority of my newly found time putting the finishing touches on me and the babies Halloween costumes, pictures of which will be taken and sent to those of you who prove yourselves worthy of that kind of notice...

Quick note, re: that. I have a friend who I like very much and who thinks I'm the bee's knees as well but in a "friends" kind of way, right, so I've noticed a disturbing trend which is that when I have long hair, like when I'm prancing around in one of the many get-ups that required some type of flowing lock-age -- he gets all silly on me. Like he likes me, likes me. Which is weird. I wasn't completely sure that this was the deal until today when he was over here sitting on my couch watching me model the year's coolest Halloween get-up and he started getting all stuttery and awkward acting, then he jumped up to go get some KFC. So, I thought "Hmmmm. That's wierd. I wonder if his like is turning into LIKE which would be weird and which we should talk about cause that would be weird..." so I take off the wig/visor/sunglass portion of my costume and when he gets back it's just like nothing happened. Again, weird. So I shrug and disappear back into the dressing area to try on another long haired ensemble and pop back out AND HE GOT WEIRD AGIAN! Like couldn't look me in the eye without turning red! Suffice to say, very shortly after this, he left. Now I'm all perplexed. I mean I, of all people, with my pavlovian reaction to long-haired boys certainly understand attraction based on a narrowly defined set of conditions but I guess what's weird to me is that we've already got a friendship going that has nothing to do with that, I just don't see how a little appearance altering is gonna make someone start thinking marriage when hour long talks about every single thing under the sun, shared jokes about truly stupid things that noone else thinks are funny and a livelong commitment to supporting each other's addiction to non-touching food never inspired that particular flight. Anyway...

2 year old wants to be on the computer now so I'm out. (Maybe I'll make a phone call or two...)

No comments: