Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Like family... almost.


So, things are still insane but some cool things just happened and I felt the need to document so...

1) the agency who was handling Spark's foster care/our adoption just sent me a book. Not a "how-to rulebook" or "an update on your child's benefits" kind of book but a book about adoption told from the child's point of view with an accompanying letter thanking me for being a part of the process. How sweet is that???

2) We're trying a new social experiment here at the house wherein I say to Spark right before she goes to sleep "Do you want milk?" which is her cue to yell "No!" because milk means sleep and she doesn't want sleep. Once she's in bed -- sleep having happened regardless of milk-age, she then demands that milk which, in the past I have sort of sighed and given. Then, I thought, nope. She says no, that means no. So the last few days I've asked and she's said "no" and I've not given her milk despite repeated in-bed requests and tears and sobbing and whatnot. Tonight I said "Do you want your milk?" and she said "No!" Then I said, "remember how yesterday you said no and then got sad because you couldn't have any? Now think about this. Do you want your milk or not?" to which she replied "No milk...! After books. Milk." (!!) I know, my "victories" may seem small but still. At this point I'll take what I can get!

3) my favorite professor just found out she gets to stay at Mills and be an actual tenure track full-time staff member! Funny because she's been there for two years doing wonderfully yet still they felt the need to put her through this insanely grueling interview process (even flying in two other candidates to go up against her.) anyway... Congrats Prof. K. You rule!!

No comments: