Tuesday, June 26, 2007

wrung out and hung out to dry...


Gawd. I feel like I've been through the wringer. Four hours worth of interview this morning trying to prove I can work then three hours this afternoon justifying my ability to write! Sheesh! Seriously, today was kind of insane. And forget thinking that since my Beautiful Prof who loves me was on my committee that that somehow MEANT something since she was the one who was the meanest(!):

"Essentially what I'm looking for here and what I haven't heard you say or read in any of the documents you've turned in is that you understand your position as an Ethnographer-storyteller. I mean, have you given any thought at all as to what you're hoping to add to the research or even which criteria you'd like us to use to judge your work?"

and

"I'm just not seeing where you're situating your proposed writing in the existing work. Your lit review barely mentions Ellis, Bochner and Eisner; have you forgotten them or are you thinking they're not essential to your understanding of the discipline?"

Christ. But, at the end of all the grilling it would seem that ....

I PASSED!!!!! I passed my Oral Exam for my dissertation proposal! (Stay with me here, basically this means that now I'm allowed to re-write everything, "clarify my position on Creative Non-fiction" in preparation for the "Proposal Hearing" in September after which i will be allowed to spend the remaining school year writing the actual book.) {sigh} I am just so tired right now... :-]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS That is great news. The pretty ones are always the meanest...
Good Luck with it all!
BBQ