Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I love my professor.


and I hate The L word. Now typically I'd go ahead and put a link in here that goes to the offensive piece of sexist, stereotypical pandering but I'm actually not going to. I'm not going to because I don't think it needs any more "publicity" than it currently gets from all those "girls who love to hate it!" out there. Seriously. How is it possible that smart, funny, well-reasoning people (e.g. the majority of my friends) are on-board with the whole "Maxim-Live" aspect of this show but at the same time make it clear that they are not at all amused when confronted with the actual magazine. Is it because this show is supposed to be for "us" whereas the mag is more open about it's representing a straight male gaze? It weirds me out because I happen to like the magazine. I think it's taken satire and raised it to a new level. Sure it panders but at least it admits that that's what it's doing. It's not all "tackling real world lesbian issues while at the same time making sure to include at least two tit shots for each policy point just in case, you know, the (definitely NOT straight male) audience gets bored or something with all that discussion of why it's o.k./feminist to wrestle in cooking oil. Take back the oil! Wait. Whatever. I feel bad for having such a gutteral reaction to what is generally dismissed as "just a TV show" but to me it's a little like saying "Why is everyone so upset, he's just the president! It's not like he represents us or anything!" Admittedly, i've only seen it twice. It's possible I'm missing something. I still have to say though, watching that kind of thing makes me think back to the good ole days of I Dream of Genie. Remember, when noone thought it was weird that some half dressed blonde chick would be at "the Major's" beck and call? "Groundbreaking!" I hear the sudio execs/writers shouting as they patted themselves on the back for scripting a show about a "strong, independent female character who didn't have to be married to be happy!" oh. wait. except. At the very end there where she did......Well. At least it was entertaining, right?



"'No longer a show about lesbians, this series has evolved into a show about people.' Will they have to call it The P Word now? No wait, that sounds like a show about urinary infections, and I don't think I want to know what that would evolve into ..."

No comments: