Thursday, June 12, 2008

Multiple Choice!


Conversation had this morning with Fantastically "Aware" Individual:

Fantastically Aware Individual:So, we had the {air quotes} "final" discussion yesterday
Me:Really??
FAI:Yeah. I just told her that I didn't really see us as friends anymore and that I didn't think that was going to change.
Me:What did she say?
FAI:She said she didn't know why. And that we used to be friends and hang out all the time and that I was being different.
Me:Hmmmm. How'd that make you feel?
FAI:[shrug] Well, I don't know. I mean, I am different. That's the point. Plus she's got all her people always hanging around her telling her how great she is. I sort of feel bad but I also sort of feel like she's just using this to try to make me like them.
Me:Yeah.
FAI:It'll be fine. I'm not gonna see her anymore after this year anyway so... she'll make new friends.
Me:yeah. {pause} man. You're smart.

K. so, quick question: Who was I having this enormously insightful, succinct, well-thought out conversation with?

A) Any of my growing number of increasingly self-reflective gal-pals about to hit the big 4-0 and electing to weed out some of the more problematic elements in their otherwise full and rewarding lives....

B) Any of my 20 something Pals who are finding they just cannot continue carrying the expectations of some of their Crush-Buddies who are growing increasingly grumbly about the continuing lack of reciprocal affection emanating from my Buddies' cool-mustachioed selves.....

or

C) My ten year old.

Answer = "C" -- Seriously. I don't know where she gets this from but I sure as heck do know it isn't genetic!

No comments: