Monday, January 12, 2009

Easier doesn't necessarily mean "better"


That's my mantra these days. Let's see if repeating it over and over in my head helps even a little bit. ;-)

So, yesterday was fun. Lots of quality time spent with quality people trying to get quality stuff accomplished. Firstly, let me just say CONGRATULATIONS to the newly wed (and appropriately glow-ey) Crafty-Kitten/Wedding Planner to the Stars/Rock-Star's Mom who wed her adorable partner in crime in New Yawk over the New Year's/X-mas holiday. Me and the kids spent some time at their house yesterday going through pics of the event and just generally swapping some stories and I am just so happy for them and theirs! Yay!

Then, immediately following this little sojourn, we scooped up another pal o' the Scoot's and made our way to the J for some quality swimtime. Also, loads of fun mostly because a certain Sparkley someone actually conducted herself throughout the entire venture in a way that involved no tears/screaming/throwing oneself to the slippery ground! We were impressed and happy. Interesting note vis a vis that though (and possibly cautionary tale for whomever tries to date my Sparklefly later in life) so... I have this badge I wear at work. It has my picture on it and it also has a green heart sticker that SOMEONE (Spark) put on it and which is very pretty and nice. i was wearing my badge in the pool yesterday because I used it to get into my office then forgot to take it off. No worries. It's waterproof. Well, the Spark noticed I had it on and was very concerned that the sticker was getting wet. she thought it was going to fall off. I was not so concerned as it seemed to be fine. now here's the thing. Not only did she think it was going to fall off, she actually got sad about it's missing state. Like actual sad face + teary eyes + warbley lip "Now you don't have your sticker I gave you anymore....{sniff}" -- Except i did. I showed it to her. "See, it's right here. It's fine."

Now, this didn't just happen once. It happened over and over. Until finally, (right around the third time I showed her that there it was! the sticker. Still on my badge...) she actually got a little annoyed. That's right folks, my little girl got mad because reality was not cooperating with her need to be distressed over my having failed her by not taking appropriate care of her sticker. So, she sort of shooed it away and we started playing something else. then later in the car, after food and friend drop-off, ect. right before she sort of drifted into semi-nap time, she asked one more time -- kind of hopefully "Is the sticker there?" to which I replied, "yup." To which she sort of "growl-snorted" before turning to look out the window/falling asleep. I ask you. I further ask you why, in all of this I sort of felt like I was letting her down by not being a little more careless. Like I really considered for a minute, taking off the sticker so she could actually get upset in a way that made sense to me...! sheesh. Good luck, is all I have to say. I mean, she's gorgeous, and she's smart and funny and charming as hell so I'm not worried about her future partnering prospects or anything, I just feel like I should have some sort of disclaimer printed up...

No comments: