Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fill in the blank...



I was "tutoring" at the Scoot's school for Math period this morning which really means I was standing around holding onto the "answer key" the teacher had given me like it was the long lost 5th book of Genesis not yet translated from the original Cyrillic, when it occurred to me that possibly the world might make better sense overall if I re-framed everything in a more standardized way. Say, as a word problem.

Fill in the blank.

"Yeah, so I guess my chances at getting a promotion are better if I'm ________"
a) more on top of my game
b) actually conversant in the PRIMARY language
c) married

or even

"A 30 year old Slacker/Skater-Boy moves to Japan to live with his girl;friend of three months. Not knowing the Japanese language AT ALL, he soon lands a job teaching English for which he is 10% qualified. His girlfriend thinks he should 'be moving up the ladder' -- a concept which has a -13% chance of occurring unless he is 'X' where 'X' equals a variable of indeterminate value but which is closely tied to 'Z' which is his inordinate luck in not having been kicked out of the country in the first place. All fates being relatively constant what are the odds that the S-Boy will survive the next twist with his position, dignity and visa intact?"

Before I even answer the above, can I just say, there is nothing more heartwarming than the sweet and simple trust shimmering in the eyes of a sixth grader as she shows you the Fractal Word Problem she has created from scratch (per the insane instruction) and asks you if it is "right." I'm telling you, it was worth every single second of faked understanding as I stared at the words swimming across the page and declared that "Yes! Yes it was!" (no idea.)

Eh, hem, anyway. The big news then for today. The one, the only, The Ace in the pocket for our U.S. Diplomatic team in Japan, Mr. DBT is getting MARRIED! You heard it here first folks. (Well, second, if you were on Angels first-contact sheet this morning but still...!) Congratulations, hon! I wish you every conceivable happiness and hope to god her parent-sans know what their little girl is getting into!

In other news, and speaking of weddings, at long last (not really so long last but I'm the impatient type!) we're going to get to see the official pics from the wedding! Our wedding. I am so excited I CANNOT stand it! K. nuff of that.

Last and I suppose least, today I got to say for the first time those immortal parental words to my Little One who informed me that tomorrow she needed to bring Chicken strips to school for lunch because Child A only liked chicken strips....: "Ah, but I am not making lunch for A. I am making lunch for YOU." Felt good somehow. Like i was coming full circle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's just trying to get u.s. citizenship

-A

ChickMagnet said...

uh, yeah because THAT'S exactly what the entire international community wants right now -- access to a broken, prejudiced system that is teetering on the brink of total economic collapse! Riiiiiiigggggghhhhhttt......