Monday, May 18, 2009

Lost


No, not the TV show. Me. I got lost this week-end. I got lots of other things as well -- Got to go hang out with the BBQ crew to celebrate the most recent HUGE milestone achieved by her Siggie, J (go, J!); got to see/watch my kid fall desperately in love with a whole host of reptilian persons; got to put in an appearance at THE Birthday bash extravaganza of the century (Kindergarten Party hosted by the daughter of my old super sweet Landylady at Build-a-Bear workshop. Nuff said.) got to wack some weeds; Really! all in all a fantastic week-end.... the lost part is sticking out in my head particularly though because I'm a grown-up lady who thinks things through pretty well and. honestly, I don't get lost anymore. I mean, I've made the occasional foray into "let's just drive around/explore" land but actually lost, like where you have no idea where you are or how long it will take you to get home or from whence you might summon help... not so much. Also interesting to note that my (and my children's) lost-ness was entirely due to me making a series of really bone-headed directional choices. Choices which i KNEW a the time were maybe not the best but then I just went ahead and made them anyway. This is a key variable because there was a point when I consciously decided (after about 45 minutes and one wondering question from the larger, non-sleeping child) to stop being lame/to make a reasonable, thought-out decision that (go figure) led me back to exactly where I needed to be and got us home about 20 minutes later. Also interesting that it didn't fully occur to me the extent to which I was dragging others along into my madness until we'd pulled into the driveway only to have both children respond with loud, relieved whoops and high-fives. Seriously. Here's me thinking "Well, at least we had a little adventure!" And the two of them are wondering if they'll ever see their stuffies again and where the next meal might be coming from...! I have no idea why they keep me around.

No comments: