Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Wedding may have been delayed but we're still engaged!


Just a cool slogan I think would look good on a t-shirt. Other than that, i'm not sure what i think about "the recent court decision"... i mean, i sort of expected it to be exactly this (nice even that the court voted unanimously to uphold the existing "legal" marriages and to re-affirm the protections currently set out around discrimination based on sexual orientation") and this whole thing reads as pretty "procedural" to me -- meaning that the way I see it this is really about whether or not the constitution should be so easy to change and less about whether or not the court is "siding" with a particular group so.... yes, they decided that our constitution is 1) distressingly easy to change but that's o.k. since it was mandated by our legislators and 2) the "right to marry" isn't inalienable. I don't think I agree with the idea that we get to use our right to vote to pick on people but it still seems to me that what this court decided yesterday was that if we feel that way we should change the process by which folks are allowed to decide to pick on people which I guess I agree with. Very strange though being the "defender" of the decision (even if it's for semantic reasons) since it means I'm arguing with my friends/allies who are more upset. Welp. we shall see what comes next. Perhaps this will galvanize everyone into being a little more "out" about their friends and acquaintances so when the next vote to change the allowances of a minority group comes up, we'll have enough critical mass to push it through this time. At least now we know it'll be upheld once it's switched!

in other news, this past week-end was fab. Parts were a little sad/stressful -- there was one bit in there where I was forced to surrender my kid to the whims of Carnival in the Mission and which ended in a way which was disturbing/annoying to me (bossy police officers, nonexistent parking, frustration + tears) even though it all worked itself out eventually; but in general the week-end was lovely. Memorial Day week-end happens to contain the exact day/evening (May 25) when The Now Wife offered up her first "yes" and made me so deliriously happy that I could NOT even stand it! Well, a few additional "yeses" later and here we are. Me=still stupid/happy, she=still here.... nice, to think about (also nice that she FINALLY let me into her pants. that part was killing me!)

No comments: