Friday, May 22, 2009

K. This is weird


So, Most of you out there probably know who your child's biological father is. (Or at least have a fairly close guess. I totally get it's sometimes hard for you straight people to account for every single minute spent at random bars especially with the whole "roofie" craze that happened in the early 2000's....) I, however, am in the interesting position of not actually having any idea AT ALL who the bio-dads of my little girls are. i have no idea who they are, where they are and whether or not they have any peculiarities/special abilities. Part of this is by choice (donor-insemination with the option of becoming "known" when my Big Big Girl is 18 but not before or per my request.) and part is by chance (Little Big girl acquired through Foster Care System wherein she'd been placed at birth and accompanied by a redacted document stating in no uncertain terms "Father = None" -- which in and of itself begs the question as to whether or not my baby is living proof of the Christian world's third virgin birth but that sort of thing tends to just sort of play itself out over time so....) which is interesting to me because it leads to all sorts of musings which I don't think most people have.

Case in Point: yesterday my Big Girl was playing with a tiny little friend she'd made whilst we were waiting to be served at my favorite (close to work, anyway) Chinese Food place and i noticed that the two of them were amusing themselves by making faces at each other. One of the faces involved turning their tongues so they were perpendicular/sideways in their mouths. I cannot do this. No one I know can do this. My kid can though. And so could this tiny person. I immediately checked out her parent. Caucasian lady. Curly black hair. TP was blonde with vaguely Asian features. My kid's donor was Vietnamese/Chinese so she, too, has the "vaguely Asian features"... So, here's me thinking "Hm. I wonder if they're related." NOT "Hm, I wonder if this child and her mom are related." No. My thought was "I wonder if this child and MY child are related." Then, I was telling this story to my buddy IHOEL and he too, had the same thought, so it didn't actually occur to me that that's a pretty bizarre thing to think until I told this story to yet another set of co-workers, one of whom who looked at me like I had another head. "Why would they be related?" He asked. "Maybe they have the same donor." i replied. More confusion. "Donor?" he asked. "Yeah." I said "He's an unknown donor. Maybe this lady used the same person." At which point the following conversation ensued:

"Wait. did you ask?"
"Who?"
"the Lady."
"The parent?"
"yeah."
"No."
"Why?"
"Um, because that would be weird."
"But don't you want to know?"
"Not really. Why?"
"Because they're sisters, right?"
"Uh. I guess. maybe. I don't know. hm. yeah, I dunno."
"But, don't you care??"
"Not really. Why?"
"She might have a sister!"
"Well, she definitely has a sister. Spark is her sister."
"Yeah but I mean, a real sister."
[Which is where I got annoyed] "Spark is her real sister!"
"Well, yeah, but you know what I mean."
"No. No I don't know what you mean." [For the record. I think this particular co-worker is an idiot. I thought that before we had this conversation though. This just reminded me how much.]

Anyway, that's pretty much it for this edition of "Fun conversations my life choices allow me to have!" Stay tuned though. I'm sure there will be LOTS more!

No comments: